Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Chappalwali Visit!!!

Being formal or being informal –what makes difference? I hardly understand! What I understand is the comfortable dressing! I prefer chappal (sleeper), jeans (blue) and t-shirt ( preferably black) and enjoy this!
Relating this fashion funda or comfort funda with villages –when I tried to look both fashion and comfort with rural women-I feel discomfort talking about jeans, t-shirts and sleepers…because here for us sleeper is fashion or comfort for rural women its desire to have one pair of sleepers!

But day before yesterday I actually realized the importance of sleeper in villages…I was in Sundari village of Umariya district ( in one of our Caritas India programme called JEEVIKA) and was interacting with SHG women, they put a chair for me, I denied to sit there, they put a mat I denied-as they all were sitting on earth  and finally prefer to sat on earth with them and awe them…but they were quite unhappy and some of them were gossiping ‘ye ladka bada badmash hein, kursi pe nahi baithta hein, dari pe bhi nahi ( this boy is naughty and is not listening to us we are saying to sit on chair, he is not sitting neither on mat..he wants to sit on earth)...but believe me I was actually enjoying sitting on earth equal to them; I don’t know why…but something was there…with that enjoyment.

Before initiating discussion on saving, credit and IGP ( Income Generation Programme) , I looked that what they were wearing in their feet...and i astounded that none of them had sleepers; and before coming to visit I was wondering that I am wearing sleeper what they would be thinking!

In few minutes,  I think sitting on earth worked and I was quite close with SHG members, important part they shared that they like my sleepers and they love to wear sleepers but tragedies of life has make them away from accessing sleepers…they walk kilometers and in forest without any sleepers…

I have seen some of the feets and believe me…me and you cannot walk with that type of feet and pain!
In between one women said…its good if I can sit on chair-as they have seen good pain in their life and prefer to see people sitting on chair and preferably with good shoes…it gives then happiness….as they have no access to sleepers and they love to wear it ! I do not know sitting on chair is important or sitting on earth with people…( may be the question of higher and lower is there), but I am sure it was painful for me when I see and know that rural women do not have even access to sleepers! Dard hota hein!

I do not know how far we think on issue of sleepers for rural women….my small informal information calculates that about 80% of women in rural pockets do not have access to sleepers…they go to field without sleepers….go to sanitation without sleepers…cook food without sleepers….and many more things!

Think on  it!


Vinod Pandey 

No comments:

Post a Comment