Monday, July 15, 2013

I have a question!


I have a question: How many of us are able to realte health and livelihood? At my personal level I find it bit difficult, but when I read a news story in Raj express news paper from the JEEVIKA field of Shehore ( implemented by ANWC-Bhopal) where in through generating habit of better health practices we are working on securing sustainable livelihood! I felt bit surprised and was not able to understand how this so, because in our entire project document no where we talked about health! I called the JEEVIKA coordinator (Ms. Archana) at ANWC-Bhopal and discussed with her, she explained me that it’s a system they are inculcating in SHGs that there must be not only saving, credit, or livelihood but also they need to adopt better health practices to reduce oultflow of money! I asked a question to her there are no doctors and dispanceries near by the project vilages, so how come they expend on health , she said in serious cases they go to Shehore and even Bhopal and it cost a lot on anaverage about 250 per month and thus probably with basic health practices they could be able to save their expenditure on health and in long run it not only contributes to sustainable livelihood but better health also! She said this training they have organised in collaboration with ICDS and thus its pur non-budgeted and leads to strong linkages also!

Its good many times we get clarity from our coordinators and it strengthen the process of learning from each other!

Find attached news paper cutting of JEEVIKA in raj express!

For more on CARITAS INDIA JEEVIKA log on to www.caritasindia.org or www.jeevikacaritas.blogspot.com

Vinod Pandey

No comments:

Post a Comment